Call Me Gina

My Photo
Name:
Location: Miss Sippy, United States

Leader of the people in my mind (most of the time, anyway...)



How Many Have Come By to See Me



Extra Stuff That You Can Click On



Powered by Blogger



Get Firefox!




Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

exerciseforcomments


This I Believe

Thursday, March 29, 2007
"In depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

I'm a big a fan of National Public Radio and some of the series that they do.
This I Believe is one that comes on every Monday morning on Morning Edition. I've often thought about funny and serious essays that I wanted to submit. I don't know how often I will do this, but I want to submit some of the convictions that this series has inspired. Click on the title post or here to read some of the essays that have been read in the This I Believe series.

Every morning, I awaken subconsciously thinking that I have not touched another human being the day before. I often feel remiss about it. I know how emotionally sensitive I am. It's a simultaneous joy and albatross. I love being hugged and I love hugging. I often tell people that I'm a professional hugger. I learned this from my mother.

I thought about the most precious hugs that I received from her. After I left home, whenever I returned, I'd have to posture myself for her to give me her special hugs. Even as my mother's health had deteriorated, when my mother's legs began to fail supporting her more and more, I would have to get on my knees for her to hug me while she was seated. She was four or five inches shorter and much bigger than I was, but every time she hugged me, I would feel enclosed in the purest love I have ever experienced.

I am chuckling to myself. My mother was not a small woman. At around 5'3", her largest weight was over 300 pounds. In her embrace, I would be smothered by bosom as she wrapped her arms around me. She would rub a "sweet spot"--a place on my spine that is particularly sensitive because of my scoliosis, the curve in my back--and I was putty. When I hug people nowadays, I yearn for that special rub.

I believe in the power of touch. Of the five senses, touch is the sense that is directly impacted by implementing it on someone else. I believe touch is the more real than any of the others. The taste buds, ears, nose, and eyes can be tricked. The skin can be tricked also, but when my skin touches other people, something unique and beautiful happens.

I believe that very few things can make me feel better than a pat on my shoulder, a cheek against mine, a chest pressed against mine as hands softly pat or rub my back, holding hands, or a kiss on a cheek. I believe that a day without touching someone is a day remissed of a human connection.

Labels: ,

posted by Evolution of gina at 3/29/2007 07:29:00 AM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for This I Believe
yeah, there is nothing better than a hug with a back rub.

Hope you find a back rubber soon.