Call Me Gina

My Photo
Name:
Location: Miss Sippy, United States

Leader of the people in my mind (most of the time, anyway...)



How Many Have Come By to See Me



Extra Stuff That You Can Click On



Powered by Blogger



Get Firefox!




Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

exerciseforcomments


My Friend. My Foe. My Gut.

Monday, July 03, 2006
"It isn't what they say about you, it's what they whisper."
----
Errol Flynn

"As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death."
----
George Bernard Shaw


Yes, this story is the culmination of a fact that I must bring to the forefront. A fact that will dispel the utter sexiness that many men and women perceive of me (y’all don’t need to know about nunnadat if you don’t already know). I am ashamed of myself, and you will find out one true fact (oh shut up already if you know this).

I’m shallow.

And, in certain circumstances, I’m vain.

Over the last few weeks I decided that, at forty, I wanted to get healthy. My genetic predisposition to acquire diabetes and high blood pressure would be fought with any instrument that I could wield, and dad gum it, I would lose weight, too! So I started a regimen of exercise, eating better, and eating less.

So a friend of mine, Yolanda, and I have been walking and baby-steps jogging in the morning on a track and walking on a not-so-straight terrain at night. We are focused, we are determined, and dad gum it, we will lose weight!

So we’ve been doing what we’ve been doing and she suggested that, since the scale that she has is askew and since I believe mine has the same illness, we should go to the health department. The next day, yesterday, she called me and said that she did it. I figured, why not go there. It is a digital weight scale instead of the balance scale or whatever the name of it is, and the least I could do is give myself a solid starting place.

This day, I go to the health department. I know a couple of women who have known me since I was a tweener (or whatever they call them thare folk) and I was in high spirits. We had conversation and yacked about a lot of things when I remembered why I was there. I was lead to a scale and one of my friends said that she was going to turn her head. I took off my flip flops (for those of you who don’t know, thongs or shower shoes may be a better name for them) and stepped on the scale. My head turned downward to look at the number. After the shifting of numbers that first rapidly sped upward then moved back and forth for a few moments, I got the number.

And it happened. I realized two things when I looked at the number.

200.8 lbs.

The first thing that hit me was to tell the woman that she had to step outside while I strip naked because I know that I must be wearing at least nine-tenths of a pound of clothing and that I need to take off these clothes because there is no way that I could possibly weigh over 200 pounds.

The second thing that came to me: I have never known a woman that weighed 200.8 pounds and looked good wearing it. Never, never, NEVER.

Then a third thing came to me and here is the thing that shows how shallow I am if the first two facts didn’t do it for you. I am not as pretty as I thought I was and that I was much skinnier than what I complained about when I weighed 141 in my adolescence.

In my defense, I am a tall and solidly built woman. My body was made to make women who wear size-six clothing appear nearly anorexic. I would be good friends with Jill Scott, Queen Latifah, Monique’, and Pam Grier.

So here I am, standing before you on this date at over 200 pounds.

No, dad gum it. Less. My clothes MUST weigh at least 2 pounds.

Labels:

posted by Evolution of gina at 7/03/2006 07:05:00 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for My Friend. My Foe. My Gut.
Its not the size of the body that counts, its the size of the heart. However, your in some good company there! And I think Queen L. looks mighty good any time I see her!

You don't have to be skinny to be attractive or sexy. You don't even need to be skinny to be healthy. All you need is a healthy life style ...

But the shocker of that .8 of a pound over that dreaded number must have thrown you into shock! I agree ... usually I just take off shoes and figure I've removed enough, non me, weight to help. In this case, flip flops don't cut it .... so I say go for it!! Strip naked ... I bet you DO come up with at LEAST 2 pounds of non you weight!

FEEL MY PAIN, MAMMA! FEEL MY PAIN!!! LOL

Yup, seeing 200 after thinking I was less hurt my feelings. No doubt about it. What's pissing me off more than anything else is that I don't know if I've lost any weight because of the difference between my scale and the digital one.

I think I'm going to throw it away. Just hurl it out the window!

Okay, okay, I'll just drop it in the garbage can. Honest.

There's bound to be more than .8 pound of clothes, but that had to be quite a shocker! Just let it be the motivation you need to work toward a healthier lifestyle, but don't go overboard and aim for some unrealistic weight loss. Your body will only rebel and hold onto each and every ounce for dear life.
Think healthy living, not diet.

Now if I could just pay attention to my own sermon hehe.

HEY DIRTY BUTTER! READ THIS!

Just let it be the motivation you need to work toward a healthier lifestyle, but don't go overboard and aim for some unrealistic weight loss. Your body will only rebel and hold onto each and every ounce for dear life.
Think healthy living, not diet.

Now that you see it coming from someone else, it's not your sermon, and you can take the advice! LOL

Hey Gina ... I absolutely ADORE that profile pic of you!!! I assume it IS you ... or maybe not, but none-the-less that little girl is about the cutest I've seen in a long while!

Mama, I got oodles where that came from!

Great... there goes the head swelling. Thanks, Mama Mouse.

I don't own a scale - I have an allergy to certain truths.

Sending you a big hug!