Call Me Gina

My Photo
Name:
Location: Miss Sippy, United States

Leader of the people in my mind (most of the time, anyway...)



How Many Have Come By to See Me



Extra Stuff That You Can Click On



Powered by Blogger



Get Firefox!




Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

exerciseforcomments


His Day My Way

Monday, January 15, 2007
"People who work sitting down get paid more than people who work standing up." - Ogden Nash

On this holiday one year ago, I submitted an op/ed piece that I'd like to share with you today. Itgot posted in my local city paper as well as in a newspaper in a large city. I'm thrilled to have read it again. I almost cannot believe these are my words, so you know that means I feel like I was led to write them. I hope you enjoy them as well.

What are your plans for today? I am delighted that the college I attend will be closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It will give me a chance to prepare for my first classes after explaining policies and syllabi.

In the past, on the third Monday of January, i have done things that my ancestors of yesteryear were not able to do: walked in the front door of many otherwise racially exclusive restaurants and stores or rode in the front half of city transportation. It was my secret way of honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and the era that allows me these now-normal actions.

I'd make sure that I wore my favorite t-shirt that displays Martin Luther King, Jr. and a quote:

"Violence as a way of acheiving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind. it is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating tiself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutaility in the destroyers."

In a time where violence is used to express insignificant rationality as fervently as powerful causes, this quote is more exigent than when it was initially expressed.

I implore readers to take a few minutes andreflect how their lives would be different if a lady had decided to move to the back of the bus.

I implore everyone to consider how enriched we would all be without James Meredith's bravery and determination to become educated at the University of Mississippi.

I implore everyone to ask themselves if how they think about human equality is regressive or progressive.

I implore everyone to release the mental binds that restrict their humanity.

Finally, each of us should consider this holiday as an Independence Day in January.

I ask all who chose to honor this day to please do so with reverence. I know I will. I'll be the one in the black t-shirt.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Evolution of gina at 1/15/2007 04:09:00 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for His Day My Way
wow! red rose!

How is your exercise going?

To continue promoting healthy blogger lifestyle, I am going to post our Healthy Blogger Pledge every Monday. Currently 18 bloggers have joined us. I will specially visit and comment our participants every Monday, to push them exercise more and to attract more participants!

This minute is for all of us!


I will Exercise for Comments!
Sunflower