Call Me Gina

My Photo
Name:
Location: Miss Sippy, United States

Leader of the people in my mind (most of the time, anyway...)



How Many Have Come By to See Me



Extra Stuff That You Can Click On



Powered by Blogger



Get Firefox!




Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign
Join the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

exerciseforcomments


Told Him a Thing or Two

Friday, July 28, 2006

"Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad."
- Christina Georgina Rossetti

So many things happened yesterday that I don't know where to start. You know how it goes, you have a thought in your head and you are nowhere near a computer to blog it and when you are at the computer, the thought is gone?

Yesterday, I did something that I swore I would not do, but I couldn't help myself. I saw a kid that I knew was blowing his life away and tried to tell him what he needed to do to turn his life around before it's too late.

I found myself saying those things--"I really used to be your age!"--that I've heard people tell me when I was in my teenage years that I wish I would have understood the scope that they were speaking. It was so frustrating; this kid repeated the 7th grade, got kicked out of school, smoked weed, drank, and he was going nowhere fast. It really hurt me. I wanted to reach in his brain, snatch it out, and let him see what his life would look like if he kept this path.

In retrospect, I realize that he was placating me, pacifying me just to say the things he thinks I want to hear. I even took him to the library to try to get him a card. I just felt like I needed to do something to get through that thick head. I talked to him for about 30 minutes. I don't know if it worked or not, but I hope enough people would be on him so hard that he will turn his life around. I fear that his environment will not allow him to do it.

My fear is that I will look at him ten or fifteen years from now and see the same thing I saw yesterday.

Labels: ,

posted by Evolution of gina at 7/28/2006 08:48:00 AM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for Told Him a Thing or Two
Many times over the course of our lives we do things for people, hoping to, in some way, help them. Most of the time we will never know if what we did actually made a difference. Whatever this young person decides to do is their decision. Your input has been received, and it might or might not make an impression. That will be his choice. All you can do now is keep him in your prayers and hope that he will take your words and actions to heart.

You did a wonderful thing!

You are so right, Mama. That's the problem with me... I know that these kids are going to do what they want to do. Mama, my small town is riddled with lost, ignornant youth that came from lost, ignorant youth who became parents of these children.

I want to influence them in such an overwhelming way that it'll stick and they will make a turn in their lives. On the other hand, I don't even want to bother, because I didn't listen much, why should I expect them to listen to me?

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place on this one.

I came here from an artist's blog in which you had commented and since we have the same first name, I decided to pay a visit.

You don't know where your good intentions will lead, but the fact that you took the time in that child's life will mean something. Maybe not in the overall way that you hope for, but in some small way. Maybe not even obvious to him.

Glad I stopped by.

It's sad when you see someone falling and they won't let you catch them and stand them up straight. Sometimes there's just no way you can get there fast enough.

I'm out C & C mondaying a evening early as I have to work tomorrow!

At least you gave it your all to help the young man. You can't predict what course he'll take from here - maybe your speech will sink in - I hope it does.
word verification: why are there 8 doggone letters to verify?!

At some point, everyone refuses to listen to wise words, some later realise and mend their ways, some dont. You did what you could, but the rest is up to him....no matter badly we want them to make a better life for themselves, if THEY don't then it will never happen...heres hoping that he WILL.